Tuesday, March 3, 2009

295 SUCKAS!

As in 295 for 5 deadlifting....freaking finally! I don't know what the hell happened last night, but there was some kind of fire burning and that weight went up so smooth. I struggled with the 5th rep, but not beacause of my hamstring or any other pain, simply because the weight was f'in heavy. And, unfortunately for me (and I guess the others around), I totally let out a douchebag grunt when I dropped the weight after my 5th rep. I couldn't help it. It was completely an egotistical, guy-type moment, but I didn't give a rat's ass. I was so pumped that I got it, that it took a minute for the heavy breathing and achiness to set in....until then, I was pretty much dancing around the back of the gym and flipping off the weight.



I was so nervous about this workout because of the past 4 or 5 weeks of NO progress. But I was armed with new wrist straps and a truly "I don't give a fuck if I get it or not" attitude. It was like I was free from my crazy mind for a few minutes to just pull whatever weight was on the bar instead of fighting my brain and body. This isn't exactly an uncommon issue for me. I remember when I was trying to qualify to carry a firearm for my job...the first 3 or 4 times I went out on the range I just missed the qualification percentage by one or two. I was so frustrated. I HATED going out to the range, and I got so caught up in my frustration that I continued to just barely miss qualifying. Then, during night qualifications (which is significantly harder than trying to qualify during the day because you have a flashlight in one hand and your firearm in the other), something clicked, and I just got it. In fact, I didn't even just barely make it, I shot a 38 out of 40. And once I qualified (especially the first time being at night), I had no problems when I tried to qualify during the day. Hell, once I got out of my head, I was shooting so well that my department suggested I get trained to be a firearm instructor. So, it seems that if I can work on not getting caught up in my f'ed up mind games, I could probably do ok.

Speaking of which, I was told just last night that I could do exceptionally well this year if only I don't hold myself back. But after last night's workout, I'm in a really good place about the next several months before prep starts, and I'm gunning for a class win (and the "stretch goal" of the overall title) at Eastern USA's. Not only was last night's workout great, but I woke up early this morning and trained arms first thing, which is often a recipe for a shitty workout. But since I have to work late tonight, I needed to get it in, and it went well. I was definitely riding on the high from last night's workout. For now, here's to some serious progress for the next few months...

No comments:

Post a Comment