Thursday, March 26, 2009

Just Another Week...

Here’s a little recap of my week so far. Sunday was arms at the ass-crack of dawn, which was actually a really nice little workout. I trained at a gym a little closer to my house because I had to meet up with some friends at 11am to drive out to the shower. While I typically don’t like the atmosphere in this gym, this time of day was quiet and free from obnoxious douchebags (at least until I started nearing the end of my workout). The shower turned out to be a good time too. I sat at a table with about 8 other women that I work with, and we had some good laughs. Plus, it was cool that we managed to surprise the bride-to-be since she’s a nosy little thing and known for ruining surprises.

I was dreading Monday night’s leg workout. I am a complete slave to routine and when things get switched around, as they did with this new training split, I have a hard time adjusting. It’s really quite a problem. I struggled during squats, getting 235 for 2 (barely) then dropped down to 230 and barely got 4. I had no power and couldn’t explode out of the rep. I apparently managed to hammer the rest of the workout pretty well since my quads were STILL sore yesterday.

Tuesday night was shoulders, which has been going well overall lately. I don’t seem to be making consistent progress on standing presses, but I’m trying not to get too hung up on that. Ironically, I have found that when I pull the meathead move of posing in between sets, I seem to be able to work out some kinks in my posing. During a chest workout a couple months ago, I figured out how to really hit a front lat. And I was messing around with my side tri pose during this shoulder workout, a pose I’ve always had trouble with. And I somehow figured out how to hit it the right way. I got my rear delt and tri to pop….something just clicked. So that was pretty cool.

Last night was hams, and let me tell you, I need more than one day between my quad and ham workouts. I hate to say it, but I had a shitty attitude heading into the workout in the first place, so I was doomed before I even began. I was tired and just didn’t feel like training in the first place. Once I got going and was halfway through the first exercise, I started to feel better and was able to get into the workout. But that came to a grinding halt when I tried to do stiff leg dead lifts. I have somehow managed to tweak my body so that they hurt my lower back more so than my actual hamstrings in an effort to protect my injured left ham….go me. I was in so much pain after doing them that I contemplated bailing on the rest of the workout. But I figured the guilt I’d feel for bailing would feel far worse than the pain if I continued. So I decided that I officially cannot do them anymore until I get my hamstring looked at. Needless to say, I was Captain Crankypants after that workout.

Like I’d mentioned before, I am truly a slave to routine, and breaking that routine creates so much anxiety for me. I had a bad feeling about this new split, and it seems I might have been right to some extent. I know I need more than 1 day between quads and hams, so I’ve decided that I’m going to try to take Wednesday nights off and train hams Thursday mornings before work. We’ll see how that goes. Also, I realized that training legs at night lends itself to lots of leg-day anxiety. I spend all day at work worrying about whether or not I’ll be able to make it through the leg workout that night. It’s silly, I know, because I inevitably make it through and often have a great workout. There is only one other person I know of that gets that kind of anxiety about a workout, and I’ve always wondered if we were the only ones. Granted, we’re both a little nutso, but I really do wonder if anyone else gets a little anxious during the day before training legs. I have yet to meet anyone who is as bothered by change in routine as I am….

By the way, I weighed myself this morning (not that this weigh-in counts) and I was 148.8….just where I should be. Of course, Saturday’s number is really what matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment