Monday, March 9, 2009

Can't Think of a Good Title

They say after a breakup, time is your best friend, but I have yet to develop that "best-friend" relationship with time so far. I know, I know, I promise I won't fill my post up with whiney post-break up bs, but I will say this. There is one thing I have found to be more difficult than I would have ever imagined about this....and that is that feel like I've lost the one person who puts more effort and concern into my progress in this sport than I do (if that was ever possible). Right now, I don't have him to call up and tell that I hit new maxes over the weekend, or that I got 305 for 5 dead lifting tonight. He's not there to listen to me question my decision to switch to bb or tell me that it's ok that I'm putting this weight on. Don't get me wrong, I have great friends who I know would listen to me and even get excited about my progress and tell me that my ass isn't fat (even though it is kinda fat right now). But it's not the same. They just don't share that same passion and understanding for this as he did. He told me at the beginning of my prep last year that everything would be ok because we were a team and he'd back me up until I decided my days with this sport were done. Guess people are right, this truly is an individual's sport.

Anyway, enough blubbering....on to tonight's workout, which actually was a damn good workout. I wound up training by myself, as my training partner was very sick AGAIN. If I didn't know better, I might think he's got a new chick he's hanging out with and skipping the gym for. Unfortunately for him, I probably know more about him than he knows about himself, so I know he's legitimately sick. So, I started off with the usual, and tried to move through the warm up sets a little quicker. I know I probably should have shot for 300 (since I got 295 last week), but I was feeling particularly angry before my workout and my 4th set felt strong. My lower back was feeling a little achy though, but I have a distinct feeling that it's due to my upcoming visitor. Anyway, I was totally ready for 305, and the first 3 reps went right up. Number 4 was a little slower, and for the first time ever, I threw up in my mouth a little at the top of the rep. And I knew I was done. Even though I missed it, I was still happy. I was nervous to make that 10 lb jump in one week considering that I was stuck for so long at 285/290. I moved quickly through the rest of the workout trying to imitate some of the faster paced supersets from this weekend. I got a great up, and felt strong overall.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I always seem to skip my posts about my chest workouts. Probably because I dislike training chest, and I never seem to progress. However, yesterday morning, I finally managed to hit a new max. I got 125 for 5 on the incline bb press. And they were 5 good ones too. I seem to have an especially hard time feeling the connection and getting a good squeeze when I train chest. Wish I knew a good way to fix this....

No comments:

Post a Comment