Friday, December 12, 2008

Trying to Start a New Habit

See what happens, I no longer spend all day writing stupid investigations so I have more brain power to divert into blogging. Hopefully, this multi-post week will become a bit of a trend for me now that I'm officially doing only supervision...woohoo.

As I'm writing this post, I'm officially two weeks without caffiene. I know, it's tragic to some. But after my trip to Atlanta and downing probably fatal amounts of the stuff, I decided that it was time for me to detox. And quite the detox it was. The following weekend (of Thanksgiving) when I was sick, I didn't have any caffiene, so I figured I'd try to see how long I could go without it. But I felt like hell during the first three days without it (aside from feeling sick to my stomach). I couldn't seem to get enough sleep. I think I spent more time that weekend sleeping than I did awake. But I made it through my workouts ok. I also had a splitting headache the entire weekend that Advil just couldn't touch. Not to mention that I was just Captain Crankypants in general. There's a cliche that says it takes 21 days to start a habit and one day to break it, so I'm hoping that after next week, this will be easy breezy. I'll admit, there have been days (most of them) when I get really sleepy at points, but I still manage to pull it together and have good workouts at night. The good thing (?) is that my sleepy feeling isn't that strung out, bug-eyed exhausted feeling that I would get before.

As far as training goes, this was the first full week of the Arnold split, and so far I really like it. I have been significantly weaker during the second workouts of the week, but from what I've been told, that's to be expected at first. Like I mentioned before, I like the idea of hitting each body part twice a week. Of course, it's too early to say if I'm progressing....so we shall see. On the weight front, I weighed myself this morning and was 149.4. Looks like slow, consistent weight gain the past two weeks, which I'm hoping to maintain. Right now the plan is to keep things the same for about another 5 weeks and then start a kind of mini diet to get rid of some of this extra fat I've put on, which I'm looking forward to for a variety of reasons. Not only because I just hate how I look now, but also because I'm not used to carrying around the extra 20 pounds, and it's hard! I get out of breath very easily during workouts, and the great flexibility that I used to pride myself on is more or less gone. Plus my joints hurt.....look out folks, here comes the Waaaaaaa-mbulance. I also want to see what kind of goods I have under this fat, too. It's kind of like an unveiling in a way. Which will make contest prep next year a little more exciting.

So there you have it. A little closing update for the week. Now it's off to the gym for a little shoulders and arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment