Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Schlappy New Year!

2009 is finally here, and I have to say, 2008 was a great year for me in terms of my competing and training (despite hitting some major personal road blocks). It's crazy because I always think that it can't get any better, and each year I continue to reach the goals I set out to accomplish for the year and make consistent progress along the way. I can only hope that this year will bring even greater success for me as I take on this new bodybuilding venture.

No training for me today since it's Thursday, my regular day off. I worked a little OT for work this morning, which was suprisingly uneventful. This week, the Arnold split has come to a grinding halt. My body has finally said enough with hitting everything twice a week. In fact, I even took the initiative to go to the doctor to address my old nagging hamstring issue as well as a newly developed pinched nerve in my right shoulder, which leaves the first three fingers of my right hand painfully numb. Not surprisingly, he referred me to a chiropractor, and I had my first visit yesterday. She was great, and she listened to what my problems were and took a very understanding approach to the fact that I'm an athlete and I'm not going to stop training because of these minor injuries. So, she adjusted me, and I already have some relief from the pinched nerve....at least, I didn't wake up in pain in the middle of the night and haven't had much numbness all day today.

As far as changing up the training now, my plan is to take to weeks and try to ease off a little bit and let my body repair itself a little bit. I will undoubtedly have to work at making a concious effort to not train balls to the wall, but I think by the second week, I will welcome it. Then I'll probably go back to some heavy lower volume stuff similar to the 5x5.

That's it for now. I'll post more next week when I change around my diet and start my "recovery" training. Now it's time for this girl to nap (I can't think of a better way to celebrate the new year).

No comments:

Post a Comment