Saturday, February 13, 2010

A New Lease on Winter

Well, sort of. So, I did it--I tried skiing for the first time ever today. And I have to say, I actually did pretty ok. In fact, I think I could count the total number of times I fell on only one hand, believe it or not. Initially, I figured that my default means of stopping would be to simply just fall down, but I finally was able get enough control to learn how to stop without taking a face plant. It was by no means graceful, but it was certainly much less embarassing. I also managed to get comfortable enough with it that I didn't have to spend all day on the beginner trails and was finally hobbling down the intermediate trails by the end of the day. I did take a nice digger coming around a turn on the second to last run we did. I didn't realize the curve was as sharp as it was, and I had some good speed going (probably more than I even realized at the time). Next thing I knew, I was having a yard sale....lost my skis and my poles. Good thing I'm able to laugh at myself and all my spazziness, because the 5 year old kids flying by me on their super-cool snowboards sure were. I was also a little leery about falling while getting on and off the lift, but fortunately, I managed to master that part right from the start. Of course, I wouldn't have been able to do this without the help of an incredibly patient (and pretty darn cute) coach.

As much fun as I had today, I will admit that I'm a little nervous how it's going to impact my leg workout tomorrow. I was pretty surprised that my lower back bothered me as much as it did today. By the end of the day, I was hurting pretty bad. I also have a feeling that my legs are going to be pretty fatigued tomorrow. Since I have virtually no ability to finesse anything, I simply muscled my way into staying on my feet when going down the mountain and trying to stop at the bottom, so I'm guessing my legs are gonna be pretty weak for tomorrow's workout. And it's times like these when I need to pull my head out of my ass and realize that I can't miss out on stuff like this just so that it doesn't interfere with my workouts. I mean, hell, I could have rested all day today and still have a shitty workout tomorrow. At least this way, I'll have had fun today, even if my workout tomorrow does suck.

Speaking of tomorrow, it also happens to mark the beginning of my mini diet. I'm going to try to drop a little bit of weight over the next two and a half weeks before the Arnold. Really, it's going to be mostly just getting rid of the water I'm holding, but at least I won't feel completely like a beached whale while I'm working the Species booth. I was 141 yesterday, and I still cannot seem to wrap my head around why I continue to look like I'm getting fatter but the scale isn't moving. I feel like I look like I did at 150 last year, which is probably completely rediculous and inaccurate. But I just don't understand why it's so difficult for me to make clean gains and not put on so much fat. I follow a clean diet, do all my cardio, and train my ass off...yet I still put on so much fat and look so gross. It's so damn frustrating.

Alright, enough whining. I'm tired and cold, so it's early to bed for this super skier.

No comments:

Post a Comment