Saturday, April 18, 2009

It's Brittney B*tch

The past couple of weeks I've been in a pretty deep funk with my training and my overall attitude towards it. I would say I've had more crappy workouts than good ones. However, one of the best ones happened to be this past Wednesday. I went down to Long Island to meet up with Colette to work on my posing routine. I know, I know, my show isn't until November, but I'm a planner, what can I say? Plus, I'm a complete uptight spaz, so I need LOTS of time to practice. Before meeting Colette at her gym, I trained hamstrings at Bev's. I don't care what anyone says, the atmosphere and stigma of a gym make a huge difference to a true athlete. There weren't too many people in the gym, and I didn't see a single pro training there (except for Zeville, but she was just getting to the gym as I was leaving, so that doesn't count). But there was something about knowing who has trained in there and being able to feel a "hardcore" aura in there was so cool. I realize I sound like a complete cheeseball, but if you trained in my little hole-in-the-wall gym in the country of upstate NY, you'd understand. Even though it was the first time I'd trained there, I was still like a kid in Toys R Us for the first time. I was so excited about all the different machines, it was difficult to narrow them down for my workout. A friend of mine once said you could easily lose 5 minutes of your life trying to pick a leg press....which was exactly how I felt trying to decide which lying leg curl machine to start with.

After I finished training, I shot over to meet with Colette. We quickly ran through the mandatories, and she gave me some tips on the transitions into each pose. I have A LOT of work to do, particularly on my rear poses (I have such a hard time squeezing my glutes and hams). But I'm determined to look polished up there. The same friend also once said that, you don't diet or train on stage, you pose. So you need to practice that as hard and as much as you diet and train. Which was another reason why I wanted to start so early with my posing routine. I know it's going to take me a long time to make it look how I want it to. Despite my 15 year gymnastics background, I am very stiff and not smooth at all. My personality and my physical movements are very similar in that way. This was why I thought switching to bodybuilding would be a great challenge for me. I knew the diet and training changes would be easy (relatively speaking). The posing undoubtedly will be the most difficult part. Anyway, once the music was on, the moves started coming, and I was in a complete frenzy trying to remember them and not fall on my face. If I can drum up at least 1/2 of Colette's "swagger," I will be happy. I almost wish there were some drills or something I could do to loosen me up. Like, how does a pro football player look good ballroom dancing on Dancing With the Stars? Damn, if they can ballroom dance, I sure as hell should be able to figure out how to pose with a little flow.

Three hours later, we were finished, and I had a complete posing routine. I taped Colette doing the routine, and then she taped me so that I have something to refer to when I practice. I'm really happy with the routine, and plan to practice it at least once a week for now. I also need to start running through the mandatories myself. I just can't stand to look at myself now in anything other than a moomoo. Speaking of which, my weight update....152, up 1 lb. from last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment