Saturday, September 20, 2008

Dynamic Duo

I swear that there are some relationships that have incredible chemistry that only builds upon itself and only in a way that's specific for the two involved. For me, one of those relationships comes in the form of a particular training partner. There happen to be many dynamics to that paternership/relationship (fortunately and unfortunately), but it's those dynamics that seem to make it so productive sometimes. This morning was one of those times--and all we trained was arms. It's not like we went in and pounded out some heavy squats or crazy db presses, just arms. But that chemistry was there and on point, and that resulted in a pretty sick workout. We hit bi's first with 1-arm cable curls, three drop-sets of preacher curls, a superset of incline db curls and hammer curls, then finished with three simple sets of straight bar curls. My bi's were so pumped, I could barely fix the rat's nest on top of my head that I call my hair. Next was tri's, and well, considering how my bi's were feeling, muddling through tri's was interesting. We started with three sets of 1.5's on close grip incline bench on the smith machine, followed by three heavy sets of skull crushers, three sets of one arm o.h. cable extensions. Finishing up with a superset of regular grip EZ bar press downs and reverse grip press downs.

For quite some time, I had been separating arms and training bi's with back and tri's with chest. Initially, I saw some good changes, but after awhile, my arms became a pretty weak body part because of that. Plus, my back and chest workouts were suffering because I was always thinking about having to cram in extra stuff afterwards. I have found that I get a much better pump when I have an entire workout devoted to arms...big surprise, huh? Plus, I figure that if I'm making this switch to bb, I better completely revamp everything and train/eat like a bb.

My two previous workouts were Thursday night shoulders and Friday night hams and calves...neither of which was much to write home about. I was on track with eating this week (I certainly do not have a problem getting all my meals in like some people...that inner fat kid loves it), and it showed in my weight today. 135.6 I can't remember the last time I ever saw that number on the scale. I know next week's weigh in is going to be tough for me. I know for a fact that I have never seen anything higher than 135 on the scale, and it's a pretty safe bet that I'll be at least a pound if not two, over that by next week. Just gotta keep the bigger picture in mind...

No comments:

Post a Comment