Sunday, December 6, 2009

Making Some Adjustments

Yesterday, I made the trip down to Long Island to see a doctor about my hamstring/glute issue, and I feel like I've made more progress in that one visit than I did in the several months I wasted earlier this year trying to figure out what the problem was. Mike gave me more feedback than I've received from anything or anyone else during this whole process. It seems that I have multiple injuries going on there...he seems to believe that I do have a pulled hamstring, and the numbness I'm feeling is typical of sciatica. He also mentioned that my spine has very little mobility and the left side of my lower back is in constant spasm, probably from the hamstring pull and sciatica. He ran me through some basic movement tests, discovered that I can't even squat correctly with no weight, and then did some work on me. I won't even begin to try to explain what he did because I would fail miserably at giving it any justice. Then he ran me through a series of exercises and stretches that I need to do every other day by myself. They weren't painful, per se, but they were definitely uncomfortable.

I was supposed to go meet up with one of my girlfriends afterwards and train at her gym in the Bronx, but she had to cancel because of a family emergency. So I figured, what the hell, I'm about 15 minutes away from Bev's, I'll go train there and wound up getting in a great arm workout.

Today marks the official beginning of my offseason, as I've been given a diet/cardio plan and started it today. I got things going with a decent quad workout this morning. Of course, I wanted to start out with heavy squats, but I figured it would ultimately be in my best interest to pull back on the weight and fix my technique, since I've gotten into the bad habit of favoring my left leg (which makes for a rather comical range of motion for anyone who knows proper squatting technique). I did 3 sets at 155 and started to really lose my form again towards the end of the third set, so I dropped the weight down to 135 to make sure I got 10 clean reps. Then I went over to the leg press and got to work. At this point, I was hoping to have a more structed training program in place to start along with my offseason plan, but I still haven't been able to put one together. I wind up just going in the gym and hammering away on whatever body part is on the menu with the only goal being to make myself sore as hell. This often includes drop sets, supersets, random rest-pause sets, and some one-and-a-half rep sets...and in my world, that's just too scattered, and I don't feel like it allows me to track my strength gains or overall progess. Hopefully by the end of this week, I'll have put together something a little more structured.

No comments:

Post a Comment